Mechanical Engineering Intern
We're looking for a bright Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or Industrial Engineering student to work with us on product manufacturing lifecycle management. We have a series of projects in mind related to 3D CAD modeling, machine shop drawings generation, manufacturing process improvements, and new product feature development.
You will be working directly with FarSounder’s engineering and manufacturing team on tasks designed to maintain and improve our product manufacturing processes as well as collaborating on new product features. You will learn about the complete product lifecycle including: maintenance of existing designs, mechanical design considerations for industrial products and, management of part fabrication and assembly processes.
Being that we're a small company, you can expect to be exposed to the various technical facets of the company. You will also have the opportunity to participate in product testing on board various, locally operated boats and interact with other interns at FarSounder. You'll probably also learn a bit about sales, sonar equipment, testing, and customer support.
Anticipated Project Tasks:
- Migrate 3D mechanical part and assembly models from legacy CAD system to new CAD system.
- Update machine shop fabrication files.
- Improve manufacturing processes including step-by-step assembly and bill-of-material documentation.
- Participate in mechanical design of new product components including thermal management and fabrication documentation.
- Experience using 3D mechanical design software such as SolidWorks, Inventor, Alibre Design, etc.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate academic program with coursework in Mechanical Engineering, Machining, and/or Process Engineering (major not required)
- Able to work both in groups and independently
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Available for an in-person interview in Rhode Island
- Smart, personable, self-starter
- This is a PAID internship.
- Only open to individuals with the permanent legal right to work in the United States.
- The position is in our office in Warwick, RI. No telecommuting.
- Target Dates: Spring 2018 with possibility to continue during the summer and fall.
- Time Commitment: Part time during Fall/Spring semester. Full time during the summer.
To apply, please email your resume as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, tell us why you're interested in this opportunity, and why you think you'd be a good fit for this job. If you have a website, side project, or anything else you think we'd be interested in seeing, please include that as well.
No agency calls will be accepted.
FarSounder is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a smoke-free/drug-free work environment for its employees.